31 July 2016

1921: In the Books

 
 
Another decade completed! I used this cool, cloudy, showery July Sunday to its fullest knitterly potential and spent most of the day completing the final details and finishing my 1920s sweater. For appropriate period atmosphere, I did all this work while watching more than a couple episodes of Miss Fisher's Murder Mysteries. It seemed only right. 
 
With its short sleeves, worsted-weight-gauge, and comparatively minimal finishing, this project was a breeze. And the pattern was very good, too: I found no errors and made only one modification throughout the course of the project. It was a simple one: I decided to crochet rather than knit on the top border along the front checkerboard. Easy!


As with my 1910s sweater, this one was knit in one piece, sleeves and all. I picked up stitches along the neckline and sleeves to add the garter-stitch checkerboard pattern, which was a little fiddly on the wrong side as the colors had to be carried in front and moved to the back to work the knit stitches. The portion along the neck was fairly time-consuming and done in two sections, but I really like the results. I was worried that the sleeves would be too tight once bound off, so I opted for Jeny's Surprisingly Stretchy Bind-Off. It ended up creating a rather pleasing flare.




Overall, I really like the completed garment. I think it will be quite wearable across the seasons and I like the way it looks and fits. I'm not even sure that it looks like it's a nearly 100 year old design. Does it?
 
I'm looking forward to working on the 1930s next! 
 
Specs
Yarn: Cascade 220 in navy blue and white
Amounts: 3.75 skeins of navy and < 1 skein of white
Needles: size 8
Crochet hook: G/6/4.25mm
Started: 3 July 2016
Finished: 31 July 2016

1 comment: