05 January 2016

Rules, Regulations, and an Intro

Some Background: I've been knitting since I was a girl and learned the basics from my grandmother. I picked it up again in earnest during high school and college and haven't stopped since. My collection of vintage and retro pattern booklets started with my grandmother's stacks of patterns from the 1940s through the 1990s; many of them are full of her own project notes and ideas. Now, I enjoy hunting down other booklets at antique stores, yard sales, and estate sales. I love the styles in these books, the photography and graphic design, and the language. Some of the featured pieces are timeless and others are firmly rooted in their own era, for better or worse. I can't wait to explore them in a more tangible and woolly way!

The Goal: To knit one sweater from each decade of the 20th century, starting with the 1900s and ending with the 1990s, in an effort to enjoy and use more of my collection of vintage knitting patterns and to learn about past styles and techniques.

The Rules
  1. I pledge to adhere as closely as possible to the original pattern, making modifications only to ensure the fit of the finished garment and/or to correct misprints or errors in the original pattern.
  2. Whenever possible, I will work from a physical pattern already in my collection.
  3. Each project will be a sweater.
  4. This is selfish knitting: all ten sweaters will be for me.
  5. There is no time limit.
  6. I will blog at least once a week about the whole process: from pattern selection and prep work to the knitting and finishing process. 
  7. I reserve the right to work on other projects in between my Century Sweaters.
  8. My knit-friendly husband may post about the process from his perspective as well. 
Follow my progress here. Onwards to the 1900s!

No comments:

Post a Comment