08 June 2019

Finally ready

I think I'm finally ready to start thinking about my next decade: the 1960s.

After the 1950s dress ordeal, I had to take a little break. I was thrilled to finish the dress and delighted with the outcome, but...whew...did it ever sap my knitting energy. I made a few smallish things over the winter and early spring: an extremely ugly pair of socks (not pictured...never to be pictured), a cute sweater for my cute nephew, a start on a sweater for Sam, and the most utterly satisfying Fair Isle hat. Finishing the hat in four days, after watching the colors build and play against one another and constantly thinking "just one more round," made me miss knitting it after it was done, which in turn helped to renew my creative spark.

And so today, I found myself with an idle hour or two and decided to page through a pile of duplicate pattern books that I'd separated from my collection with the idea that I might find someone else who wanted them. There's quite a few 1960s booklets in that pile. One is focused on Aran knits, one is for kids, one is an instructional booklet, and one is full of "Mohair Hand Knits."


The booklet was published by Bernhard Ulmann in 1962 and is clearly designed to be a vehicle for Fleisher's or Bear Brand Supra Mohair. Some patterns call for this yarn to be held double with a conventional sheep's wool, while others use only mohair. The cover design intrigued me, especially the model on the left with the oversized cables and collar. I kind of like it, though it's a little chunky for my personal taste. It's definitely wearable today. The red-on-pink sweater on the right is maybe a little less timeless, especially with that super close 1960s neckline, but the bold color choice is certainly eye-catching (maybe also eye-watering). Inside, there are a few more cardigans, a men's pullover, a hoodie, a matching shell and skirt, a jacket, a dress, and a massive, oversized, full-length, buttoned housecoat/dress/jacket combo thingy with pockets. In pink mohair and bulky wool. Really. It's wild.

Apologies for the blurry photo. My camera clearly couldn't handle the combination of the hot pink dress against my red couch. Pink and red again just like the cover. It's a theme.
I'm certainly not going to make that. Nor am I going to tackle another dress (plus, I already have a mohair dress of the full-body variety). But then I came across this design on the left below. That's something I could see working with my wardrobe. It would be good for work. It's fairly low commitment with the short sleeves and cropped length. It's knit in one piece from the back up over the shoulders. Plus, I remembered that I have six balls of pure mohair in my stash, just waiting for a classic 1960s mohair project like this. It seemed like it was meant to be.


I have three balls of black and three balls of white mohair. It's a bit of a mystery yarn as there's no suggested gauge or other information on the label. It feels a little thin compared to other mohairs in my collection, which, admittedly, is not many. The gauge for the pattern is 5 stitches per inch. Since it's mohair, it's a fairly loose knit to allow the yarn to bloom. I'll play around with my yarn to see what might work. I appear to have plenty of yarn (there's 570 yards in each ball), so I'll certainly experiment with holding two stands together as I have a sneaking suspicion that my mohair is lighter than the Supra Mohair specified in the pattern. I could even try one strand of black and one strand of white, which might be kind of cool. We'll see. 

It all seems like a no-brainer, surely. I like the pattern, I have the yarn. I'm not crazy to contemplate knitting a 100% mohair garment as we head into summer...right?

No comments:

Post a Comment